Season greetings! During a recent procrastination session on a rainy afternoon, I avoided studying for finals by making a cozy treat. The delectable snack I will share today is called hot chocolate pudding cake. I like how the center of the cake is so moist that it resembles pudding. It’s very simple to make and all the ingredients were things that I already had in my kitchen. The dark, rich chocolate definitely satisfied my sweet tooth and it didn’t take too long to whip up. Also, it tastes best when it’s topped with ice cream, whipped cream, or powdered sugar. I recommend this recipe; it’s the perfect treat for the holiday season to combat the cold weather!
Duration: 30 minutes to prep and 25 minutes to bake.
Serves roughly 5 small ramekins or 3 large ramekins.
- Ramekins of any size
- 3 oz of unsalted butter, sliced and at room temperature
- ¾ cups 60-70% dark chocolate chips
- 3 large eggs
- a pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and set the ramekins on a baking sheet.
2. Cut the butter into small pieces and combine with the chocolate in a medium-sized bowl. Place the chocolate and butter bowl over a pan of slightly boiling water. Stir the mix until it’s melted completely, then remove the bowl from the heat.
3. Combine the eggs, sugar, and salt with an electric mixer in a separate bowl until it’s light and foamy. For me, it took roughly ten minutes for it to form, but it will take longer with a whisk.
4. Fold ⅓ of the beaten egg mix the chocolate to make it more light and fluffy.
5. After you combined a little of the egg mix to the chocolate, add that chocolate mix to the rest of the eggs. Fold it in until it is entirely incorporated.
6. Divide the batter into the ramekin and do not fill the batter to the brim. I recommend filling in roughly ¾ of it full.
7. If you are baking it with small ramekins, you should cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the center puffs upward, out of the ramekin. To check, insert a toothpick into the center and see if the chocolate is attached. For large ramekins, you should leave it in for roughly 25 minutes.
8. Let them cool for 5 minutes and top them with anything you prefer!