This Thanksgiving, I decided to celebrate with my friends, and we cooked a huge feast. Everyone had their role, and my role was to cook fried chicken. It was my first time making this classic collection of cholesterol, but I feel like it turned out pretty well. I learned buy watching a lot of youtube videos and by getting tips from friends. Here are all the steps and ingredients I used to make my WFC.
- 15 chicken drumsticks
- 3 cups of flour
- 1 cup of corn starch
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of onion powder
- 1 tablespoon of mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground thyme
- ½ a tablespoon of garlic powder
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of hot sauce
- 2 eggs
- olive oil
- Create your chicken brine by mixing in 2 cups of hot sauce, one cup of water, 2 eggs, and a teaspoon of salt and pepper. Once you finish making your brine, mix it and place your chicken in it. ( Recommended 3-5 hours)
- Create your seasoning flour by mixing 3 cups of flour, a cup of cornstarch, a tablespoon of paprika, a tablespoon of onion powder, a tablespoon of mustard powder, a teaspoon of chili powder, half a tablespoon of garlic powder, a teaspoon of ground thyme, 1 and a half tablespoons of salt, and half a tablespoon of ground pepper.
- Start heating up your oil until it is 360 degrees Fahrenheit. ( A trick to knowing if your oil is ready is by dipping a wooden utensil into the oil, and seeing if it bubbles. If it bubbles, it means the oil is ready.)
- Grab your chicken and start covering it with the seasoning flour. ( Make sure the seasoning flour is nice and compact, so the fried chicken comes out nicely.)
- Once you finish covering up the fried chicken, roll the chicken into the oil and wait around 15-16 minutes for it to cook.
- Take out the chicken and let it rest for a hot minute or so.
These are the ideal steps and ingredients to making a spicy fried chicken. What I made was similar to this dish in many ways, but missing half the spices and no marination. To substitute for the marination, I used egg wash. They came out alright, but when we tried eating it, we realized it was missing a lot of flavor. The first time we made the fried chicken, it came out burnt, but once we started getting used to cooking the chicken, it got better and better.
It was a tough experiment, but overall I thought it was extremely successful. Not only were we able to learn how to make fried chicken, but we also had a great time celebrating Thanksgiving. I had a really good time and was very satisfied with the food that we made. I can’t wait for my next Thanksgiving celebration!