Apply to Our Program
2020 SUMMER CYCLE (JUNE 15 – JULY 24)!
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, JUNE 5
“Sunset Micro Wave!” – General Naird (Space Force)
Join us and become a columnist at Sunset Media Wave! Together, we are creating a multi-multimedia website dedicated to San Francisco teenagers. This summer, we are doing something a little different, but very exciting! You will spend five weeks completing one project that you’re passionate about, which will be added to our special summer issue of The Wave (aka Sunset Micro Wave)!
Due to the pandemic, all of our programming will be remote (“distance creativity”) and our application will be slightly altered. Also, please note that we have been notified of coming budget reductions, so at this time, we are not sure that we will be able to offer stipends. (This process continues to be a work in progress, but we are doing everything we can to preserve jobs, stipends and The Wave! More updates soon.) Whatever happens, we guarantee The Wave will be hot this summer; it’s a great opportunity to make your voice heard!
Application Questions (Your responses will remain confidential)
Please answer the following questions in an email to email@example.com. Your responses will remain confidential. During this pandemic, we are committed to supporting diversity and holding space for the most vulnerable members of our San Francisco youth population. If you do not feel comfortable answering any of the questions below, you can respond ‘pass.’
- Write one paragraph about a passion you’d like to develop into a one month project this summer for our zine!
- Are you self-motivated? We are looking for teens who can come up with great ideas and then follow through. Please write one paragraph about your ability to get things done on time. Give an example or two.
- Where do you go to high school? What year are you?
- Are any of your parents or caregivers essential health care workers?
- Have you experienced homelessness, or potentially in danger of losing your home or apartment?
- Do you have any disabilities, special needs, an IEP (individualized learning plan) or IFSP (individualized family support plan)?
- Do you (or anyone in your family) need help with their recovery from Covid-19?
- Are you eligible for free and reduced lunch? Do you receive Medi-Cal, SNAP (food stamps), WIC, or any other public assistance programs?
- Has a parent or guardian lost employment during the pandemic?
- Are you a person of color?
- Do you identify as LGBTQ+?
- Do you face challenges related to a mental illness, risk of abuse, neglect or exploitation?
- Commitment for 80 hours of remote / distance project work.
- Development of an original project for SMW (with our help)
- Completion of your project on time.
- Depending on our budget, we may be able to award you a monetary stipend.
- Certificate and letter of recommendation for job and college applications
- Build your network of like-minded youth & adults
- Make connections with the broader arts / music / media SF scene
Please use firstname.lastname@example.org to contact Sunset Media Wave. If you have questions that you would like to discuss over the phone, feel free to include your phone number and we’ll call you. Thanks!