Apply to Our Program
SPRING 2017 EXTENDED! APPLICATIONS ARE DUE 2/10/17!
Join us and become a member of Sunset Media Wave! Together, we will add new voices to a multimedia blog dedicated to San Francisco teenagers. You bring something you’re passionate about, and we’ll help you turn it into a column. (Columns can be visual, musical, written, or otherwise.) You come twice a week for three months. We offer up a great space, technology, friends, web savvy adults, and expertise. It’s time for teens to voice themselves, shake things up, change the world, and change the web!
Please answer the following five questions in an email. Send it to Jon at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions before applying, feel free to hit us up at the same address.
- What are you passionate about? Write one paragraph about an interest you’d like to develop into a column (examples: art, music, current events, fashion, technology, gossip, culture, food, sports, shopping).
- Are you self-motivated? We are looking for teens who can come up with great ideas and then follow through. Please write one paragraph about your ability to get things done on time. Give an example or two.
- What is your greatest skill? Please write one paragraph about a personal quality you are confident about. Please provide examples of your work: scanned artwork, SoundCloud sounds, photos, writing, a photo of a project, whatever you feel is relevant to your skill.
- Please provide us with the contact information for the two references listed below.
– One teacher with email address
– One friend with email address
- Where do you go to high school? What year are you?
- Tell us which schedule works best for you:
a. Mondays & Wednesdays (After school)
b. Tuesdays & Thursdays (After school)
c. Either works for me
d. I can attend the following 2 days each week (not including Fridays): 1.________ 2.________
We are accepting high schoolers who can commit to the following:
- 3-month blog cycle
- 2 afternoons per week and 1 Sunday session during the cycle
- Development of an original multimedia column for SMW (with our help)
- Regular posting (2 posts per month)
- You’ll receive a $250 stipend upon completion
- Certificate and letter of recommendation for job and college applications
- Build your network of like-minded youth & adults
- Make connections with the broader arts/music/media SF scene
We’re located two blocks from one of our greatest inspirations: Ocean Beach! Our address is 3925 Noriega @ 46th Avenue, which is the headquarters for the Sunset Neighborhood Beacon Center. For more info about SNBC, check out our website or spend hours on the Facebook page!
Please use email@example.com to contact Sunset Media Wave. If you have questions that you would like to discuss over the phone, feel free to include your phone number and we’ll call you. Thanks!